Linksys WiFi Range Extender Setup
Live Chat with our experts & get real-time answers to all your queries.
Tap below to discuss your Linksys issues with our experts and get the solution.
The configuration process of Linksys WiFi extender helps you to extend the range of WiFi in less time. To do the Linksys extender setup process, early you will require to visit the login page. If you don’t know how to login into Linksys range extender then follow all the lower points step by step for login and setup as well.
Basic Requirements of Linksys Extender Setup
- The first thing is to have a Linksys extender and an active network adapter.
- Without them, you can’t proceed with Linksys extender login or setup.
- In addition, you need an ethernet or USB cable to connect the device to your computer.
- However, there are also other options available such as WiFi.
- It may work better in some cases.
- But it depends on what type of connection works best for your situation.
Configure Linksys Extender On PC
You can easily do the installation process of Linksys extender by using a PC. To start up the setup process, study the lower steps.
- Initially, you will be required to turn on your extender.
- Now, attach your gadget to the extender WiFi network.
- On your connected laptop or PC, open the web browser and enter the web address in the search bar.
- Now, insert the admin username and password to visit the login page.
- In case you don’t know about the credentials then check the tag or at the bottom of the Linksys extender device.
- Next, from the left side of the menu bar pick up the settings and then pick the wireless setting option from the drop-down menu.
- In the end, observe and carefully follow all the instructions step by step.
Note: Don’t skip changing the SSID (WiFi network name) and passcode of the Linksys extender device for security purposes.
Install Linksys Extender By Ethernet Cable
- First, attach your computer and extender to each other with the help of an ethernet cable.
- Now, you will need to use the Linksys extender WAN port.
- Further, link one end of the ethernet cable and connect another end of the ethernet cable to the router or modem free port.
- Following this, go to the navigation and fill in the web or IP address in the location bar. Tap on the enter button and wait for a while.
- After that, the Linksys extender login page will open up on your screen.
- Next, enter all the login credentials. Such as SSID and password.
- In the end, consider all the on-screen instructions step by step.
As a result, after trying this method you will successfully complete your Linksys extender setup. If you are unable to set up then try another method.
Linksys Extender Setup By WPS
Note: Before starting this method, first you will need to check whether your router has a WPS button or not. If your existing router does not support the WPS button then you will need to change your old router to a new router.
- To start with, locate your Linksys range extender near the existing router and put the Linksys extender plug in a wall socket.
- Make sure your Linksys extender must be within the range of the router.
- Now, Press and hold the existing router and Linksys extender WPS button for a short while.
- Further, wait for a while until you see the solid blue LED on both the extender and router gadget.
- As a result, the Linksys extender setup is completely done.
Note: After the setup, if you are facing trouble with the extender then study the few solution tips.
Linksys Extender Configuration for iPhone & Android
Users can configure and setup Linksys WiFi range extenders through both iPhone and Android. To do so follow the given steps.
Open Your Web Browser
- If you’re using any of the following browsers, open them on your phone or tablet.
- You can use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari.
- Make sure your web browsers are up to date that you are using now.
- If possible, first clear the cache and cookies from the web browser.
- Also, delete the temporary files to perform the process easily.
Access the Default Address of Linksys Extender
- To access the default address of Linksys Extender, you have to type Linksys extender IP in the URL bar of your browser.
- Make sure that your extender is connected to the router, as well as turned on.
- If you need to setup your extender manually, use its default IP address: 192.168.1.1
Click on New Extender Setup
- Once you click on New Extender Setup, you will see a list of extenders.
- Select your Linksys Extender’s model number from the drop-down box and click Next.
- You’ll then see an option to scan for available WiFi networks and/or enter network credentials manually.
- Choose any one, then follow the instructions on the setup wizard to complete the setup process.
Select Your Linksys WiFi Range Extender’s Model Number
- Tap the Settings app icon on your device, then tap WiFi.
- Make sure WiFi is on and tap the name of your Linksys range extender that you want to configure, which should be located at the top of this page.
- On this page, select your Linksys range extender’s model number.
- Proceed with the instructions given on the setup wizard to complete the extender setup process
Once done, you can use your iPhone or Android device to extend the WiFi signal using your Linksys WiFi Range Extender. Moreover, you can also use your phone as a hotspot and connect all of your devices to it.
Click “Start” to Setup Your Extender
Click on “Start” to begin setting up your extender. Connect to your range extender using the WiFi name and password provided by Linksys, then click “Next”. If prompted, enter a name for this network connection (for example, Home). Then select the network type from among those listed in the drop down menu: Home, Work, or Public Place.
Connect Your Range Extender to Your WiFi Network
- Use the default SSID and password to connect the extender to your WiFi network.
- The default SSID is linksysext and the default password is admin.
- You can change these in the Linksys Max Smart Setup wizard later on.
- If you want wireless devices connected with the extender to be able to talk directly with each other, they need to be on the same subnet as each other (or use a router between them).
- This means that if you have a laptop on an existing 192.168.2 subnet and add this device, it will connect directly but not communicate with any devices outside of that subnet (e.g., 192.168.*).
The process of configuration for both Macintosh and Windows are the same, except for a few different steps. Now you have successfully configured Linksys Extender on Mac and Windows.
Can’t access Linksys Extender setup page?
The Linksys Extender setup page is a 192.168.1.1 admin page that allows users to setup their extender for the first time. If you can’t access this page, then this means your browser is not connected to the extender network.
To connect your device and access the Linksys Range Extender setup page:
- Make sure that you are using a WiFi-enabled device with an internet connection (WiFi or Ethernet).
- Find out what mode your router is currently in (access point, repeater, or wireless bridge) by visiting its website or calling customer support
- Try to access the extender setup page using a wired connection.
- If you are accessing the Linksys WiFi Extender setup page on another computer, say your friend’s computer or your neighbour’s, then make sure that there is no firewall or antivirus software blocking access to a setup page.
- Make sure that you have connected the extender with power and checked whether it is working properly by using different web browsers like Chrome, Mozilla, Internet Explorer or Safari, etc. Clear cache and cookies from the browser if required because sometimes these problems can be fixed by clearing cache in browser settings.
The Linksys WiFi extender setup is simple, and you can complete it with or without a computer. You just need to follow the above steps.
Having Trouble Connecting to Linksys WiFi Extender?
If you can’t connect to a Linksys Wi-Fi extender, try these steps:
- Check the status of your Wi-Fi extender. Make sure that it’s connected and turned on. If necessary, press the WPS button on the back of the router to restart it.
- Check whether your computer is connected to your router’s network. To do so, open Windows Networking or System Preferences in Mac OS X and select “WiFi” from the sidebar menu at the left. If you see connections available for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, then proceed with the next step.
- Otherwise, try connecting manually using this guide from Apple (Windows) or here from Microsoft (Mac).
- Check whether other devices (such as tablets or phones) are able to connect to the same wireless network as yours by going into its Settings area and looking under Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi > Advanced Settings.
- It should say “connected” next to one of those two frequencies listed above if successful. If not, Make sure there aren’t any conflicting channels in use by nearby neighbors broadcasting their own signals. These signals could interfere with yours too.
Why People Face Troubles In The Linksys Extender Setup
- Due to improper placement of the Linksys range extender.
- The gap between the extender and the router is maximum.
- Due to damaged or not working ethernet wire.
- By entering an invalid web or IP address in the URL bar.
Troubleshoot All These Issues
Check Linksys Extender And Host Router Distance
To solve the Linksys range extender issue, make sure you must locate your extender near the host router or within the range of the router. Also, check that your extender and router do not lie near electronic gadgets. After doing this method, we expect your Linksys range extender issue is now solved. If the issue is not solved then try other solution tips.
Upgrade Linksys Extender Software
Study the few lower steps to fix the Linksys extender issue.
- Initially, you will need to go to the Login page of the Linksys range extender.
- Further, enter all login details, and pick an administration option.
- After that, select the firmware upgrade option.
- In the end, wait for a while to download the firmware upgrade file on the computer.
Reset Linksys Extender
Tip: Apart from the above-mentioned two methods if your Linksys extender issue is not fixed then try out this last method to fix the issue.
- First, find the reset hole button.
- Now, take a paper clip and insert it in the reset hole button.
- Further, you will now see the extender LED will now turn off.
- As a result, it means your Linksys extender device is now completely reset.
Note: After the reset process, you will need to do the Linksys extender setup process again.
After trying all the troubleshooting tips, if the Linksys extender issue is not solved, then just try to contact our technical team experts and it will help you to fix the extender issue in less time. You can easily contact our team through email at email@example.com or the contact number +1 716-992-6370.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Due to damaged cable.
- By filling the wrong web or IP address in the URL bar.
- By placing your extender at improper placement.
- Due to an outdated firmware of the Linksys range extender.